What you need:
- 1 C Flour
- 1 C Water
- 1/4 C Salt
- 1 TBSP Vegetable Oil
- 2 tsp Cream of Tartar
- Food Coloring (or if you want it to smell yummy, kool-aid)
- Glitter (the bigger flakes, the better)
- pot/pan & spatula
- & an eager little helper :)
1) Add everything to the pot. Doesn’t matter what order.
2) Stir, stir, stir. until pretty smooth.
3) You can either make one big batch of the same color, or separate it out before you add the food coloring. I doubled my batch & separated it out into six bowls.
4) Add food coloring or kool-aid & stir well. **The first time I made this I used regular food coloring & while the color was great, the stuff smelled like…playdough? Not the best smell in the world. I bought kool-aid (for the first time ever!) and while it certainly did add a very yummy scent to the final product, it did make my little one cough when it went POOF into a cloud as it hit the mixture in the bowl. So just be warned. ;)
5) After the food coloring, add glitter. Add a decent amount–some will definitely stick around on little hands, but that’s half the fun, right?! ** Your mixture should be pretty runny before you add to your pot.
6) Heat the pot on MEDIUM & DO NOT STOP STIRRING once you pour in the mixture. This step went extremely fast for me–well under a minute, so stir & don’t let it stick to the bottom! This is a mommy job. The mixture will get clumpy & start to change colors. This is normal. It will eventually all turn a slightly darker shade of the original mixture. I had the best luck flattening mine into a pancake-ish shape & flipping it over. When you think it’s done, remove from heat. I just scooped mine onto the counter. After mine cooled a tad, I kneaded it a little to be sure it was done. If it is a little too gooey, just put it back in the pot & cook a little longer.
7) & VIOLA! Glitter Playdough!